In the Greater Montreal area, exo’s new Pointe-Saint-Charles maintenance center was recently awarded a LEED NC v2009 certification by the Canada Green Building Council (CaGBC). With a total of 253,000 SF (23,500 m2) of sustainable installations designed by our teams in 2019, the new center provides exo employees with cutting-edge facilities for the maintenance of the network’s commuter trains.
The maintenance center includes a 21-train outdoor parking garage, an inspection workshop, a repair shop, a wheel profiling workshop and a training center. Workers also benefit from a healthy and safe environment, thanks to the design and commissioning of ventilation systems that meet the specific needs of train maintenance facilities.
“This project was not an easy one to qualify for LEED certification given the high energy consumption required for the center’s processes and operation. Thanks to an outstanding collaboration between our teams and the Pomerleau-Kiewit and exo teams, the project’s sustainability targets have been achieved,” explains EXP Sustainable Development Coordinator, Manuelle Croft.
In addition to promoting active transportation and public transit use within the community, key elements that contributed to the project achieving LEED certification include:
- The construction of a white roof to prevent heat islands;
- The construction of an anti-noise vegetal arch;
- The revitalization of an industrial site dedicated to railway operations since the 19th century;
- The over 50% reduction of stormwater runoff peak flow rate and volume;
- The reduction of water and energy consumption through the use of high-efficiency plumbing systems and heat recovery from evacuated air;
- The reduction of impacts from refrigerant fluid use;
- The relocation of landfills used to dispose of the construction waste;
- The use of materials with low volatile organic compound emissions;
- The reuse of materials from an existing building.
Congratulations to the exo, EXP and Pomerleau-Kiewit teams who contributed to the success of this P3 project. We are proud to add this project to our long list of LEED certified projects.
Learn more about this project here